Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Dark Twisted Over-Hyped Fantasy


So I was finally able to head to my record store yesterday and pay $14.99 for Kanye's latest. Yeah, I'm fully aware that I could have probably bought that album in Target or Wally for $8.99ish but then again.. it is supporting the local business which I don't regret. Anyway, I sat my ass down and listened to Kanye and guests. My first impression? Very good stuff, yet I can't help but wonder if this really deserved the ultra-mega rare 10.0 Pitchfork gave it. To my horror and shock I actually own something that contains Rhianna singing, something I swore I'd never in my life I'd do. Seriously how can Rhianna be on something that Pitchfork gave a 10.0 to? Pitchfork is flawed obviously, but you still have to take their word on some of the stuff they say, but this? And it's not only Pitchfork but every other music website that exists... well not all of them but close enough. This contradicts my entire belief system that Rhianna represents the death of music, the death of talent, the death of creativity. Fuck my entire philosophy on music is gone. Hahaha not really as that song is probably one of the best on the album. I could care less if Pitchfork gave an 11.0 or a 0.0, fact  is I don't particularly like Rhianna and her "singing" turned me off. 

Ughh no thanks.


I guess what I'm trying to say is that the album is very good, but not good enough for it to warrant the legendary status that Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, etc. have given this album. Having Bon Iver on the album doesn't hurt, and even though I think that people in a few years are gonna forget who or what Nikki Minaj was, she does a pretty good job in the album. One of the best of the year? Sure. The Best? No.  

And in case you're wondering if this is a review. No. I suck at reviewing albums, this is just personal taste stuff. Not really a review. I'm just saying, album does not deserve being named the best album in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment