Thursday, January 10, 2013

Favorite 10 Albums of 2012

This year's list was tough. Picking my number one wasn't too bad but the rest that followed was as difficult as   laughing while watching The Big Bang Theory. I'm sure I could switch the order around in the last 5 and I would still agree, but here they are

1. Chairlift - Something

Easy number one for me. Loved this album from the first listen early this year and my love increased as the year progressed. In particular most reviews I read praised the first half of the album, while I preferred the second half of the album with songs like 'Cool As a Fire' 'Amanaemonesia' and 'Met Before'. The 80s sound isn't original and they are not doing anything new with it, but they managed to make some beautiful and catchy music that resonated with me more than most stuff this year.

2. Chromatics - Kill For Love


I'll admit that I didn't know about Chromatics until I heard them in 'Drive'. So this album was the first full album that I heard from this group and I was not disappointed. Got it really cheap too right off their website with free shipping I think. Their cover of Neil Young's 'Into the Black' sounds new and fresh. Some of the album may drag a little too much, but they manage to keep the listener's attention throughout the thing. 

3. Grimes - Visions


"Overrated shit" is one of the most common descriptions I've come across from this album. That may be true, but for me it deserves this spot. It incorporated all sorts of stuff and sounds flawlessly.

4. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory



As much as I enjoyed Cloud Nothings previous releases, they can't help but sound like practice for what eventually became Attack on Memory. Short, frustrated, aggressive, and to the point.

5. Japandroids - Celebration Rock





This album is an absolute blast. Japandroids manage to top  themselves with this album which turns into a party  much like the title suggests.

6. Grizzly Bear - Shields


These guys can do no wrong.

7. Swans - The Seer

This was my introduction to Swans, and I felt abused and brutalized listening to this album. It is intense and not easy to listen to, and it's not meant to be. But once you get deep into this album, it just becomes overwhelmingly awesome. You hear all sorts of new stuff every time you listen. Fun tip: play this album to your parents and watch their reaction.

8. Tame Impala - Lonerism



Pretty solid sophomore album from these guys. Some bits of it reminded me of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd

9. Beach House - Bloom




While not as immediate as Teen Dream was, it's still a beautiful album with everything you would expect from Beach House.

10. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw...




This list would be null if I didn't include Fiona Apple's LONG awaited new album. The wait paid off, and we were treated to another great Fiona Apple album.


Other stuff that I didn't include that I can remember from the top of my head that deserve recognition include Kendrick Lamar, Purity Ring, The Men, Screaming Females, Crystal Castles, Death Grips, Metz, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Jack White, Frank Ocean, and a few more I've forgotten.

Stuff to look forward to next year:
My Bloody Valentine (?)
The Knife
Iceage
hopefully we get some new The Avalanches within the next 10 years


RIP WU LYF

No comments:

Post a Comment